Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Weights, Bike, Bonkin, Inspiration, & Fancy Running Stuff


So after my half marathon run Monday I was limping around all Tuesday. I decided it was time to listen to my body and do some cross training, real low key style. So I hit the gym, focusing on high reps for upper body and some strong core exercises. Being that I haven't been in the gym in about 2 months, what I thought was light weight was pretty heavy. After that I used the stationary bike to get 35 minutes of decent cardio. I thought by today I would be good for a long easy run... notsomuch... I got about 6 miles in, but it was very very slow (730 miles) and I was dying! Honestly I had to walk almost 4 blocks after the run to cool down.

On a side note: I watched the Espy's tonight. Seth Meyers was hilarious... although I think he could have made a few more jokes about Lebron and Tiger... but maybe that was too easy. What I wanted to talk about is the Arthur Ashe award recipient. They gave it to the family of a coach of a high school coach in Iowa. He basically helped bring a community back from a terrible tornado disaster in 2008 and last year he was killed by one of his past players. His family was crushed, but in a terrible time they came together, supported the family of the killer, and one of his son took over the coaches mantle. Seeing the family receive the award from Brett Favre (my hero) and hearing the son speak was extremely touching. The jist of his speech was almost a lesson to all these young, rich, and dumb athletes out there: its not that hard to do the right thing and you will reach millions of people. It was extremely humbling, and I couldn't help but think how so many people have done so many good things and I can only hope that I can do a fraction of what other people have done for the American Cancer Society. Thank you all for your donations and support, please spread the word

PS: That picture on the top are these new compression calf sleeves that I got on Amazon. After scouring marathon blogs, they say these compression sleeves help with recovery. I am possibly doing it all wrong, but I will do anything short of EPO to achieve my goal. I wonder if I could find a used hyper-bolic chamber on ebay.... hmmmmmmm

No comments:

Post a Comment