Monday, August 30, 2010

Hell of a Weekend...

So last week was a great training week. Started off with 2 decently long runs, a good cross training session, and some legit above AT speed work. Anything after that would make it a good week, but I needed to do an actual "long run." So Friday was a rest day, and Saturday morning I woke up at 10AM, had a big bowl of oatmeal, a huge cup of coffee and hit the road. Saturday was the day I was going to prove that my training is working, to show that I can do the time and the distance. I ran 21 miles, all the way down to the University of Chicago, in about 2hr 30min. I wasn't pushing the speed, the pain came from the sheer amount of time I was pounding away on the path. It was only 16 seconds per mile slower than what I hope my race pace will be and I stopped alot for water, stretching and video taping (see below... again sorry for commentary/doofiness). Not to mention I wont have done 30+ miles the few days leading up to the marathon! I used my steadfast trick of listening to a few Bill Simmons reports during my run. Got the down low on a few fantasy sleepers and also found out that in a few weeks it's going to be 9/02/10 (get it... 90210). I was never a fan of the show, I'm sure it was the guilty pleasure of many 20 something males in the '90s (similar to what "The OC" was to my generation... I mean "Party of 5"... wait... wait... I mean "The Man Show"... ya that's it). Anyways, I want to thank Bill for keeping me company and amusing me during those 2.5 hours. At the end of the run I was pooped, and felt kinda funky for a few hours, but it was great! Sunday was an off day and today I did a fast paced 7 miles (still felt the effects of the run on Saturday). I have 6 weeks to go until the race, hopefully this weekend I'll do just short of 20 miles, and next week I will hit the 22 mile mark. After that I'll start to ramp up speed work and slowly start to lower the distance. At least that's the plan... will see.... till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment